I like the idea of sewing, but I’ve always found the reality to be absolutely maddening. I hate having to rip out seams, which I have to do all the time. I have to modify nearly every pattern, because I am 2 inches shorter and much narrower in the hip than the size models. And sometimes the pattern instructions seem so obtuse they make me want to cry. Sometimes, I do cry. Often there is also swearing. And then, after hours of laborious labor, the fruits of my self-inflicted torture are revealed…and they are hideous! More tears, promises to never to do this again, throwing the un-hemmed thing into the donation pile. Until once again I am lured in by a beautiful fabric that I must have…
This has been my personal history with sewing. But imbued with a strange optimism from my recent sweater successes, I decided I would no longer stand for this state of affairs. I will become functional, nay, good, at sewing! I know the secret now and it is practice! The saying is so trite that it’s like its inherent truth is obscured by the cliche. But I feel like I’ve had a mini-enlightenment here. I will just keep soldiering along, and if I make something hideous I will be philosophical about it. Now I know not to try that again!
And so over the long weekend, I made three skirts. None of them are perfect, and one is of the “don’t bother to finish hemming, this is so awful” variety. But two turned out okay, even wearable. I had a revelation about zippers (a previous bane), and didn’t even mind ripping out the same seams two times because I kept sewing it the wrong way round.
I got this grey wool from the thrift store for $1.99, and had the lining in my stash. I used McCall’s Quick & Easy M3341. I added a waistband instead of the facing, and added lining. The pattern worked really well for me, since it is more A-line, and didn’t require crazy hip adjustments.
This is the fabric I got at Britex. It’s reversible, although one side is more green and the other more purple so you need to assign a “right” side. I went with green this time. There’s enough left that I will make another skirt with the purple side once I get better. I used Burda 7576, switching the slit from the front to the back. The hips were huge on me (I basically sheared off the entire hip curve, and that worked), and I had to fudge the seam allowances near the waist because that area was a little tight. The skirt is wearable, but I’m not a fan of this pattern.